Today Missy and I went to church at an Australian Lutheran church. And it was so much like our Missouri synod churches back home. How nice! It was so refreshing. The people were super friendly and welcoming. Many of them offering us rides to church on Sunday. And one family even invited us out to their house for a BBQ! It made us so happy. We also met our first Aussie that goes to Bond at church this morning. She was so nice! This has made me feel alot better about being here. I feel more settled. The people at church were enthralled with Americans in general. They also viewed the American culture as being a self-focused group of people who do not learn much about the world around them. Which is true I guess for some people. But we reassured them that not everyone is like that. But overall everything about Americans is very positive, and the Aussies are always very happy to meet Americans.
The food here is pretty similar to the states. Except for the dairy we have decided. The ice cream has a funny taste...soo disappointing. And cheese doesn't taste the same either. Also a big let down because I love cheese! But one thing I do love about Aussie food is the Tim-Tams!!!!!!!! They are chocolate covered bikkis (biscuits which mean cookies). They are divine! And apparently in Australia grape jelly does not exist. We have looked everywhere for it, and it is no where to be found. But they do have just about every other kind you could imagine (even some fruits that I have never even heard of). Another interesting thing about Australia is that the only toothpaste they sell here is......Colgate. NO CREST OMG! So I had to buy Colgate...ugh.
Tomorrow is the first day of classes. I'm kinda nervous, but still very excited to finally start and meet some more Aussies. I just found Bond's blackboard tonight, and reading through the syllabi is stressing me a bit. But I just have to keep reminding myself.....pass/fail....pass/fail....pass/fail. No grades. Thank you Clemson. Apparently not everyone's school does that...geez.
The other day at the Beach BBQ Missy and I met a girl who is also a PT major like me! So exciting! And she is just like me and Missy, same values and stuff. It was such a relief to meet her. We love her! She's so sweet! And shes's from St. Louis.....go figure. Crazy...
Cheers mates!
2 comments:
Soo... you're telling me the only cultural differences that you're experiencing are that the cheese tastes kind of funny, and you have to settle for a less-well-packaged and marketed brand of toothpaste?
Way to go KB. You silly goose.
tell me more! i have yet to hear from you how classes are going! love.
Post a Comment