24 September 2008
How You Going?
Today after my last class I decided to treat myself to a steaming cup of hot chocolate from Juicy Bits. And as I stepped up to the counter I was greeted with "hey there! how you going?" by a sincere and smiling fellow. Once again I am in awe of just how friendly the Aussies are. He then proceeded to ask me how my day had been and how my classes were. After all that I then ordered my hot chocolate. It was so refreshing after my long day to meet such a genuine and friendly person. Being here has caused me to appreciate the little things. I have also seen how it is so important to brighten anyone and everyone's day that you may encounter. Why must we in America always be in such a rush that we can't give people the time of day for just a smile or a simple hello sometimes? Is it really that hard?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I find this observation of yours very interesting, considering I am on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.
While you have come to feel as though Americans don't do enough as far as smiling and what not, I've come to greatly appreciate what the Americans do do.
Only one customer service person in Prague has ever smiled at me, and even that was a half smile. And it's rare to see people even smiling on the street. I've never been asked how my day is either.
So to me, I can't wait to go back to America, where I do, in fact, feel as though I often get smiled at and asked how my day is.
Funny how we've both experienced the complete opposite?
Post a Comment