I have always loved coming home for Easter, and this may be my last one here at home for a while. The church services, time spent with my family, and the dinner are all things that make this special time complete. As a Lutheran, we celebrate this time with services for Maundy Thursday (for the Last Supper), Good Friday (for his sacrifice), and Easter morning (for his resurrection).
I know sometimes there are jokes and such about being a Lutheran, but honestly I do love being one. Embracing my German roots, family tradition, and beliefs and values through this denomination is one of the ways that I define myself. Growing up with the traditional hymns and liturgy, I have come to see this as part of me. Some may find the organ music and responsive readings old-fashioned, but for me this is part of why I enjoy it so much. It was how I was raised, and I how I want my own family in the future to be raised.
And tomorrow after the service (singing some of my all time favorite hymns..."Jesus Christ is Risen Today" etc.) we will be having dinner with Grandma, Paul, and my family at our house to include: brisket, macaroni slaw, pea salad, green beans, and chocolate pie... I may be forgetting something but I'm not sure. Mmmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment